Durchbruch bei EU-Haushalt 2011 förstora bild (© picture alliance / dpa)

It is not required for Swedish or other EU-citizens to get a visa for a business or tourist trip to Germany. However they must at all times during their stay in Germany be able to identify themselves with a valid passport or a national ID-card.

Please note that for Swedish citizens only the national ID card issued by the police is a valid travel document for trips to Germany. ID cards issued by banks, Skatteverket or other institutions as well as Swedish driving licenses are not valid for entry to Germany.

For stays in Germany exceeding 90 days

If you move to Germany to work, study or live there for longer than 90 days you are required to register with the registration office (Einwohnermeldeamt/Bürgerbüro) in the town/city you move to. Also please ensure that you have health insurance coverage for your stay.

Öppettider och kontaktmöjligheter

Blaues Informationsschild

Förbundsrepubliken Tysklands ambassad ligger på Skarpögatan 9 i Diplomatstaden. På grund av byggnadsarbeten kan ambassaden tyvärr inte längre erbjuda någon besöksparkering.

Welcome to Germany

Brandenburger Tor in Berlin

The brochure "Welcome to Germany" has been designed by the Federal Ministry of the Interior to help you find your way in Germany. The brochure is published in English under the first link and in several other languages under the second link.